The parents of a youngster at the centre of the BBC presenter scandal tonight told how they had spoken out to protect their child.
They stood by their claim that a prominent BBC personality had given their youngster thousands of dollars in exchange for sex photos.
The mother and step-father of the youngster also questioned who had paid to provide their child with an expensive lawyer.
Via a legal letter given to the BBC, the youngster insisted nothing “unlawful” or “inappropriate” had happened between them and the presenter – who the youngster did not deny knowing, or receiving cash from.
But their mother tonight told The Sun they stand by their account of their child’s relationship with the BBC star.
The mum said: “It is sad but we stand by our account and we hope they get the help they need.
“We did this to help – and the presenter has got into their head. How did they afford a lawyer?
“We are so sad.”
The step-father added: “We are disappointed they made a statement. It’s not true.”
The parents spoke out after the 20-year-old’s lawyer sent a letter over the scandal – first revealed in a bombshell Sun story on Friday night – to the BBC.
The network reported excerpts of the legal letter from the unidentified youngster.
The BBC admitted it had not spoken to the young person itself, and does not even know who they are.
The legal letter said: “For the avoidance of doubt, nothing inappropriate or unlawful has taken place between our client and the BBC personality.”
It also called the parents’ allegations “totally wrong” and claimed there was “no truth” in the claims.
It also called our initial story – based on interviews and sworn statements from their worried parents – “rubbish”.
The 20-year-old’s mother and step-father have both given The Sun detailed sworn affidavits, outlining their claims.
The Sun responded: “We have reported a story about two very concerned parents who made a complaint to the BBC about the behaviour of a presenter and the welfare of their child.
“Their complaint was not acted upon by the BBC.
“We have seen evidence that supports their concerns.
“It’s now for the BBC to properly investigate.”
The development comes as the scandal, which has engulfed the BBC and sparked a political firestorm, is set to enter its fourth day.
The child’s mother had told us the star paid the youngster more than £35,000 since they were 17 in return for sordid images.
She also revealed her horror at seeing a video call of the presenter sitting in his pants on the sofa waiting for her child to “perform for him”.
She said: “I loved watching him on TV. So I was shocked to see a picture of him sitting on a sofa in his underwear.
“I immediately recognised him.
“He was leaning forward getting ready for my child to perform for him.”
She added of the household name TV star: “Earlier this year I heard him on the phone saying to my child, ‘I told you not to f***ing ring me.
“It was shocking as I’d see how he would act on the telly and then he would say stuff like that.”
It comes as London’s Met Police said they were “assessing” the allegations.
It is a criminal offence to make, distribute or possess an indecent image of anyone under 18 under the Protection of Children Act.
Tonight, a BBC source said there was a sense of “utter disbelief” that the presenter had still not been identified.
A number of senior staff at the corporation are “openly angry” about the way it has been handled.
Other staff are said to be communicating about the scandal solely on Whats App – as they fear using BBC emails to talk about it or discuss it at their HQ.
The Sun first revealed on Friday night how the star had been forced off air over claims he paid a teenager – who is now 20 – £35,000 for explicit images.
On Sunday, he was finally suspended by the BBC.
The youngster’s parents first reported the allegations to the BBC on May 18 but were frustrated to see the star still on the TV a month later.
They then contacted The Sun.
And the scandal-plagued corporation has been blasted for its response to the scandal.
Ex-Cabinet Minister Priti Patel said it marked a “very shameful moment” for the Beeb.
BBC Director-General Tim Davie has said privacy law was making the situation around the presenter “complex”.
He said: “By law, individuals are entitled to a reasonable expectation of privacy, which is making this situation more complex.
“We are in contact with the family referenced in the media reports. I want to assure you that we are working rapidly to establish the facts and to ensure that these matters are handled fairly and with care, including by external authorities where appropriate.”
But Justice Secretary Alex Chalk said he would have expected the Been to have suspended the unnamed presenter as soon as allegations were made.
He said the BBC needs to “get its house in order”.
He added: “What it means very simply is this: when serious and concerning allegations are made, they need to be investigated promptly.”
As the scandal gathered momentum a string of BBC stars – including Nicky Campbell, Gary Lineker, Jeremy Vine and Rylan Clark – spoke out to say they were not unidentified presenter.
He was said to be “under pressure” amid questions over how long he can remain anonymous.
We told yesterday how the suspended member of BBC staff allegedly made “panicked” calls to the person last week after the allegations became known.
He allegedly rang the family of the teen 20-year-old – asking: “What have you done?”
The claims include that the star has given the youngster over £35,000 since they were 17.
In an interview with us, the mother said the family complained to the BBC in May – and grew frustrated the star was still on air a month later.
She had told how the teen used money from the presenter to feed a “spiralling” hard drug addiction.
The distraught mother said they went from a “happy go lucky youngster a ghost-like crack addict” in just three years.
BBC chief Mr Davie is due to face the media on Tuesday for a scheduled briefing following the release of the corporation’s annual report.
Representatives for the broadcaster met with detectives yesterday.
The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: “Detectives from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command met with representatives from the BBC on the morning of July 10. The meeting took place virtually.
Source: The Sun